Saturday, September 26, 2009

Spoonerisms

I would love to go on and on about my love for forks and spoons, really, I would. I love how shiny they are and when put side-by-side they look like the perfect couple. Growing up, I pictured them as my "mom and dad". Dad, the fork, stood above the little spoon protecting it and he fed me the hearty stuff to make me smart, tough, and strong like meats and veggies. Spoon was my Mom that filled me up with comfort and protection--ice cream, mac n' cheese, and soup.

That's not today's topic though. Today's topic is brought to you by Alex Trebek and his smarminess that is thrown around all over that game show stage he takes so eagerly every night at 7:30 pm. Spoonerisms.

I have certification to teach middle school Language Arts so I am quite aware of spoonerisms, but come on Alex don't stand there and grimace when no one knows the answer of who the frig the subject gets it's name for...technically, I think Sylvester the Cat suffered from this affliction, but I am suppose to know about Rev. William Archibald Spooner and his inability to speak and his common "syllable mix-up" of words.

According to my friends over at wiki, Rev. Spooner is really only associated with one true "syllable mix-up", the rest may have been made up by coworkers and students as a pastime. Ah, but does it matter. To be honest, I just like the word spoonerism. It's almost as fun as onomatopoeia...but I'll save that lesson for another day.

Mrs. B

No comments: