Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Goodbye

I have returned from my trip...I wish I could say it was long and strange, but it was not. It was too short. It was full of love, laughter , and memories of a lifetime. I said goodbye to one friend, but thanks to her made new ones and rekindled old ones.

It was a wonderful trip.
Throughout the week, it was a celebration of Kim.

Kim was an organ donor, so somewhere she has spread her love through sight and touch. I thought of that often this week, someone looking through her eyes and seeing the beauty of the world for the first time. Knowing how she had loved her life more than ever in the end and how her own view had changed.

Watching her mother make arrangements for her was, by far , the most difficult. Seeing her boyfriend/best friend, with his head hanging down, just nodding with no words. It was a painful, but awakening time for me. I NEVER want my kids or husband to have to do that, make those decisions so soon after losing me. I am going to make all my plans and get all my "stuff" in order ASAP.

The hardest time, maybe for all of us, was packing her personal belongings. Five days ago, she was in this bed, sitting in this chair, wearing these shoes, putting on this makeup...her mother lives so far away, it had to be done at this time, and she was not ready for it, none of us were. It was difficult, to say the least. This is, also, when she had to pick out her final clothes, her final jewelry, see her final place of living...there was so much finality.
We were all overcome with grief.

Meeting with the preacher, and listening to the musical selections was a happier time. The preacher, Brother Tom, was a good soul and not too church-y. We all got to share stories about Kim with him. We laughed and laughed some more. It was a beautiful time. The music came from her iPod " favorite" selections and were picked by her mother. They were perfect.

On Thursday night, we had dinner and a little drink, and quietly celebrated her life...by living.

Kim's service was 100% Kim...the only exception was no karaoke...LOL. People came to visit her and left, and came and left, and came and left... it's a good thing too, because sometimes people annoyed her...LOL.

When it was time for the service, the music started and our minds were clear that her wishes were met and wherever she was, hopefully looking down on us,
she was smiling...
no, she was laughing...
that laugh...
her laugh:

Take a Chance, Take a Chance, Take a Chance

If you change your mind, I'm the first in line
Honey I'm still free take a chance on me
If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down

If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown
Honey I'm still free take a chance on me
Gonna do my very best and it ain't no lie
If you put me to the test, if you let me try

Take a chance on me
That's all I ask of you honey
Take a chance on me



We love you, girl.
Thanks for the memories, the love, the laughter.
http://carpentersfuneralhome.com/obituary_view/10010505

1 comment:

Faiza said...

hugs. hugs. hugs. hugs. hugs.