Saturday, September 13, 2008

So long, Collective Soul!

Years ago, on a far away stage, Ed Roland danced with me. In another city, at another time, he professed his friendship with a gift of a tye-dyed T-shirt. I LOVED that shirt. It has traveled with me for years, but today...it became a "paint" shirt...LOL. Yeah, y'all know what I am talkin' about. Those shirts you hold onto forever and think that if you let it go that somehow that memory will die. It won't. I promise.

Ed was one of the nicest guys I'd ever met. I always thought if it had been a different time and place...we'd live happily ever after. He was such an average joe, but could mesmerize you when speaking to you. I love people that can do that--men or women.

Anyway, in this chapter of the Book of Christy, I am a different person. As with everyone, getting older and settling down leaves us with the ability to let things go that seemed to have been so important, but weren't. He would never remember me--time does that to you...LOL, but I'm OK with it now. I love that shirt still, but now it means more...in a different way. It reminds me of a time of no direction and personal confusion to now--happily ever after. A time where it's much more important to have a good paint shirt then to dwell on old memories...LOL.

Soooo...so long, Collective Soul. I've moved on to Johnny Cash...but you probably have, too.
Mrs. B :o)

1 comment:

Mary&andJD Allen said...

I like the message of this post. It gave my morning a little depth to my morninglol I can see what you are saying, I think the one good thing about getting old is that you do slow down, and you have more knowledge. I think about being post high school for 7 years ( not alot of time to some) and it blows my mind to think I am finally getting older. I also realize I wouldn't go back to high school for any ammount of money. I was so shy and just had my head in the clouds. I think I can call myself a planner now, and I kind of like the idea of learning more everyday that I get older. :)