Sunday, October 19, 2008

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I could write today on two meanings of my title...and since I have a little bit of time, I think I will.

My little brother rarely contacts me, and that's OK. We all have "home" and "past" issues, so I don't judge him for that, but I think as we get older we have to let some things go, and become our own person and decide what is important to us. Family is the most important to me, and he is a big part of that, so I am bothered by the lack of communication. Yet, he is not the only one to blame. I do not go out of my way either for him, and I know I should. I assume he wants to live his own life without interference, so that's what I do. I let him be. Whenever he writes or calls, I do not complain and just enjoy the moment. I guess for me it conjures up a literal sense of questioning when did my baby brother become a grown man.

The other part is a more physical idea. "Where" is my little brother? Yes, I know he lives in Memphis, but I have never seen his place, slept on his couch, or had a cook-out with him on his own back porch. My children and I have called ahead to stop and see him, maybe take him and his wife out to dinner, but either no one answers or they don't call back until you're in another state. I now no longer make the effort. For now, I will settle for seeing him on special occasions or during the holidays.

My love for him never changes, regardless of when or where I see him.
Peace out, Bunny!

CBB

No comments: