Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 11--I love Peace.

Today marks a special day for those in Egypt and a day our family will not soon forget, either. Just after midnight, we got the phone call from the hospital that my husband's grandmother, Desta, had passed away. His mother was by her side...just as she has been for the last 9 years.

Both of these situations, though not alike and miles apart, have something in common. The hope for Peace. There is not much I can say for Egypt except this time of change, I pray, will be one that alters their fates, futures, and destinies in a positive way. A nation at peace can do great things.

In the last few months, Chad's grandmother fought a very hard battle with her health. She had to be fed through a tube, she was confined to a hospital bed, and she could barely communicate; a shell of the vibrant and spunky woman that my husband remembers.

Now, I like to think, she is at peace.
And with peace , I like to think, comes happiness.
There are moments when happiness and sadness are very similar and when you are forced to choose which you feel most...please, remember to always, always choose happiness.

Where there is faith,
there is love;
Where there is love,
there is peace;
Where there is peace.
there is God;
Where there is God,
there is happiness.
~Sri Sathya Sai Baba

**I have always said that when it's my time to go, I'll make peace and let go and I just assumed all "old" people believed that, too. However, the day they took her to the hospital, this time, I think she knew she wouldn't be coming back home. While waiting for the ambulance, Carolyn(Mr. Chad's Mom) ran around trying to get all her of Mother's paperwork, meds, etc. I just stood there with his grandmother and held her hand. She was already having trouble catching her breath and with each inhale, she would hold my hand--tightly. You could see and hear her trying to breathe. I believe she wanted to let go, but I think in our final hours, we still want to fight to live.

Peace means, to me, non-warring, calmness, harmony.

No comments: