Wednesday, April 16, 2008

SR-71

SR-Social Responsibility

As the wedding draws near, I am feeling more and more a Social Responsibility to be the hostess with the most-ess, but only for the wedding/reception. Mr. Chad and I arranged the wedding date around my family reunion so that it would be a convenience for all involved, but this year, though NEVER in the history of this family, it became a family reunion weekend. Who knew it was going to be a "Lani K Lani" LUAU...pig roast and all?

My family is not one that abides by the rule, "if you can't say something good, then say nothing at all" and although it appears they normally have each others' backs...they are, let's put it nicely...too many chiefs and not enough Indians...which normally makes for some good stories later and lots of shenanigans...LOL. Personally, I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it took my a while to get to this point.

The biggest problem with my family is they never forget things...oh, they are great at forgiving, but letting bygones be bygones...nah. An example is you can almost tell who will be at what by what has happened in the past, or the relationship of the individuals involved...LOL. Did you go to so and so's wedding?... if not they will find a "legitimate" reason to not be at yours. Yet, certain people are cliqued together and time and space doesn't change it...I have a handful of those cousins.

With the exception of when I lived in New Orleans (away from everyone) or being in LA with the girls, I have been to every thing I have been invited to, I think. Weddings, baby showers, graduations, baptisms, cook outs, jailhouse visits, you name it...Now, there are things I have missed, but I can't read minds...if the invite wasn't on paper that's OK, a call would do...but if you didn't call me...well, I lost my "super hero" powers years ago so I am only human these days. (Recently, I missed my cousin preaching for the first time b/c they changed the date at the last minute. I was heartbroken, but I called him and I prayed for him at mass.)

I guess the problem with me is I love social activities. I like visiting with friends and family. I want to see my family blessed and successful and I LOVE get-togethers. I can not wait to host my first dinner party as Mrs. Christy Buettner Boyd, as Mr. Chad looks on from the back porch because the smell of the things I cook makes him ill...LOL. No, my cooking is not that bad he is just "most-food" intolerant.

In the end, I guess I'm just venting because I DO want my family there. I love each and everyone of them and this really is the beginning of my life with Mr. Chad . However, all I can do is hope and believe that all people do what their hearts tell them to do...I know I am.

71,70,69,68,67...and so on. I hope you will stick with me.

No comments: